Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Reading during the Covid-19 Pandemic

For one thing, I was super glad that the national library extended the loan period to 6 weeks for the remainder of 2020, since I am always notorious for reading and then chucking the book somewhere and forgetting to return on time. 

Woman's weekly (UK version, the Singapore version is lame and the US version sucks) was always a favorite of mine and it became even more so during the pandemic. I had started reading the magazine way before, back in 2012 when I discovered it in the library. For me, I loved the short stories, gardening tips and the puzzles, in that order. I even loved to look at what people were wearing (I did notice that the ladies they photographed tended to meet the demographic of their readers. No bare midriffs and short shorts!). But during the pandemic, the puzzles became my top favorite because they kept my mind active and away from thinking about all the terrible things they keep reporting on the news about Covid-19. The editors probably realized that as well, since the number of puzzles increased following the British waves and lockdowns.


Truthfully I thought that the crossword puzzles were very difficult. The codeword puzzles were more my tea because it tapped on my knowledge of English vocabulary and grammar without need for contextual knowledge. Word search was fun and no brainers. They also had sudoku too, which I then shared with my mom and aunts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails