Monday, October 1, 2012

The Re-readable list

I came across this article at the Atlantic Wire about the re-readable list, i.e. books you will read over and over again because they are that good to read. So I thought, why not come up with my own? I must note that my book choices are largely skewed towards romances and children books. Why? Because children books are good for you, especially when you are stressed and romances, well, every woman has those days where she wishes a handsome rich man (not knight) will drive by in his Audi Spyder and sweep her off her feet. Haha.(just realized no romance novel made this list)

Here is my re-readable list (not really in order of preference):
1. Laura Ingalls Wilder series. Favorite was Farmer Boy, and its endless descriptions of food. Nuff said. I still haven't forgiven her for the buttermilch yet. 
2. Anne of Green Gables series. My favorites were actually Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Windy Poplars. Ok, make that almost every book ever written by L M Montgomery, except for the Emily series. They were a snoozefest.
3. The Family from One End Street, though I preferred the second book, The Further adventures of the Family from One End Street.
Damn, I want to get my hands on the Holiday at Dew Drop Inn, the third book in the One End Street series. I did not realize that there was a third and final book until I was trying to write this entry. *^%$

4. All Creatures Great and Small (Omnibus collection from James Herriot)
5. Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl. Roald Dahl books are full of whimsical, faulty characters.

6. Cheaper by the Dozen by Ernestine Gilbreth Carey and Frank Gilbreth Jr

7. Fifteen by Beverly Cleary. Her coming-of-age books, which I like more than her kid books, tap on her actual life.
8. The Faraway tree series by Enid Blyton

9. Two for three Farthings by Mary Jane Staples (a bit unbelievable in this times)

10. My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

11.  The Railway Children by Edith Nesbitt.

12. An Old fashioned girl by Louisa May Alcott (the only other book I like is Little Men. Little Women made me feel like slapping all the girls, especially Amy)

Fairly good books that I'd read if I can't find the above.

1. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

2. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone by J K Rowling (the only book I maintain as readable out of the whole set)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails