Saturday, December 12, 2009

Saturday Munchies 13 - Blue Orange Cupcakes

After staring forlornly at the Christmas-themed cupcake display at the Crystal Jade Cakery for way too long last week. I decided to check out the hype.Guess what, went to two libraries, and only managed to borrow one book on cupcakes (on the other hand, I was able to borrow three very lovely Chinese books on patisserie baking. Nice.)

Luckily for my cynicism. I had already checked out some recipes on the Internet. I decided on the Lemon Cupcake  and the  Butter Cream Frosting [both recipes from CupcakeCreations]. After buying the ingredients (and later realising I forgot to buy lemons, and then that we had lemons in the house after all), I got down to baking cupcakes. I tweaked the recipe somewhat, first using metric system and then, the practice taught by my Home Economics teacher who kindly gave one-on-one lessons to a lonely geek during recess. This practice was to separate the egg whites and then whisking them to a thick foam and fold them in, together with the flour, into the creamed mixture. While happily folding, I realized I forgot the lemon rind, so I swapped with orange rind...

As for the butter cream, I only added blue coloring to the recipe, which turned out a very fun color. 











Orange Cupcake

Ingredients
90g softened butter
90g softened cream cheese
2 tsp finely grated orange rind
90g superfine(castor) sugar
2 eggs
68g all-purpose (plain) flour
45g self-raising flour

Method
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160oC.
2. Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Whisk egg whites into soft peaks
3. Beat the butter, cheese, lemon rind, sugar and egg yolks until smooth and creamy.
4. Sift the flours. Add the flour gradually to the cheese mixture and beat on a low speed, until just combined.
5. Fold egg white into mixture. Divide the mixture evenly between the cake cases. ( I even weighed them!!!)
6. Bake for 25 minutes until firm to touch.
7. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails