Monday, March 12, 2012

50 Shades of Grey - Whip me and call me Horny :P

I read about this raunchy book, 50 Shades of Grey, termed the next "Eat Pray Love" by Gawker.com. It's about a very drop dead gorgeous billionaire who is inscrutable, brilliant and sexy who oh just likes to whip a mousy awkward former virgin into submission and take her with lethal violence. Hmm, sounds like something I would like to read.
 So of course, I did my usual thing.
(1) HEAVILY HINTED to B1 via sms to get me the book (well actually I smsed him : "Darling I want fifty shades of grey for my anniversary present. What do you want for yours?" Some men need to be hinted, others like B1 needs obvious hints, otherwise you will end up with nothing. I have several backdated promises of presents, which I tap on for canvases and acrylic paint)
(2) Tracked down the book via internet to buy it.
(3) Searched for it in the library (it's too raunchy and explicit, no way in hell the library will ever have it. Where can it go? Non-fiction?)

Never mind how I did it. I got the book, and started speed reading, from the middle :P. Took me about 45-60min... only to discover it is the end of Part 1?!

WTF!!!!! This is not what you want to see when you are tired but staying up to speed read through a naughty book. No worries. The trilogy is completed. Read "50 Shades Darker" and "50 Shades Freed". *Phew*

The thing is... I smsed B1 today, to tell him not to get the book anymore. He didn't reply so I called him at his office. He says "huh? It's a book? I thought you meant 50 shades of grey?! As in acrylic paint." WTF. That man, seriously...

Anyway the book is not really playing on the female reader's weakness for a powerful male who can dominate her. If you want that, there are plenty of men who can do that (and want to do that) today. I know of at least 3. Question is, does a woman really want that? Yeah, if  the guy is filthy rich and fucking gorgeous (apparently women go weak-kneed just looking at him. Can you believe that crap?) like Christian Grey. How can you resist a man who replaces your Volkswagen with a Audi A3? I guess it depends on the type of "controlling".

Try having an average guy, who works a 9-to-5 job and wants to go home and beat his woman with a crop while controlling every aspect of her life. Ladies, let's call a spade a spade. We would call this guy A SPOUSAL ABUSER obviously :P You will probably tell his wife to get a PPO on him. Women will definitely not wax lyrically about him like they do Christian Grey on Amazon, brooding, forbidden, masterful, a modern Edward Cullen (Ironically this book actually started as Twilight fan fiction). Seriously, people?
What you are reading is a controlling bastard who wants to beat his woman. That said, I still want to read the books because I want to be the controlling bastard holding the crop *winks*.

Here is a delightful uncle's review of the book. Apparently he was bored (stiff, methinks *haha*).

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I'm a journalist from The Straits Times, working on an article about the 50 Shades of Grey phenomenon. Please would you spare me some time to share your ideas?
    My email address is akshitan@sph.com.sg and my number is 6319 5056.

    Thanks and hope to hear from you,

    Akshita

    ReplyDelete
  2. My idea here is this book has been passing around amoung school girls. I got this book from my teen girl and she got it from her teen girl pal. Guess what ? They have just graduated from secondary, having lots of curiosity about boys. And this book is teaching these school girls, "Because I love him, I should let him do what he want ! " Not only the sexual information is twisted but also the idea of love & relationship. And Singapore allows teens to purchase this erotic book from Popular Book Store.

    Too late! Tons of school girls are reading it but parents don't know. It really concerns me !

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails